Cut and Run - Ty and Zane - Review

Cut and Run

Cut & Run Series: Book One

A series of murders in New York City has stymied the police and FBI alike, and they suspect the culprit is a single killer sending an indecipherable message. But when the two federal agents assigned to the investigation are taken out, the FBI takes a more personal interest in the case.

Special Agent Ty Grady is pulled out of undercover work after his case blows up in his face. He's cocky, abrasive, and indisputably the best at what he does. But when he's paired with Special Agent Zane Garrett, it's hate at first sight. Garrett is the perfect image of an agent: serious, sober, and focused, which makes their partnership a classic cliché: total opposites, good cop-bad cop, the odd couple. They both know immediately that their partnership will pose more of an obstacle than the lack of evidence left by the murderer.

Practically before their special assignment starts, the murderer strikes again – this time at them. Now on the run, trying to track down a man who has focused on killing his pursuers, Grady and Garrett will have to figure out how to work together before they become two more notches in the murderer's knife.

My Review

So,quite a while back I bought Cut and Run. I can't remember how I found it, maybe because a newer book in the series had come out, but I don't know. I don't really have a TBR pile that goes back a long way, I generally read everything I buy either immediately or within a month or so. But, for some reason this got left. When i was recommended to read it by the MM Rec group I thought enough was enough, and I settled down to read.

Then I remembered why I gave up reading it the first time. Head hopping - Point of View swaps without purpose, very random, and with extra POVs added in here and there. This was how I used to write in Fan fiction days and because I am now SO ingrained into writing one POV for a chapter, and most certainly for long scenes, I found the book terribly difficult to get into. My editors are so hot on POV and switches that I find authors who switch POVs really confusing to follow sometimes.

But, so many people love Cut and Run, and it is an 2008 book now, probably one of the biggest books and a forerunner for the rest of us writing the new style MM, (for which pioneering ways I am incredibly grateful).

So. I kept reading. Each time I had to stop reading for one reason or another, it took me a little while to get back into the reading of it... but... wow... what a good tale. The story is good, Ty is mad, Zane is fractured, together they are hot. They don't have a romance as such, more of a progression from lust to a strong affection and a meaningful connection. The book would have been rated higher if I didn't have the POV problems so for the first time ever I am giving two review ratings.

Characterisation, story, smexin' if you are not worried about POV hops - 4.5/5

If you are an author who is rigidly in the world of watching for POV hops OR a reader who isn't keen on POV hops for characterisation, story, & smexin' - 3/5

p.s. I bought book 2 because the characters are calling to me!

Buy Links

Amazon US | Amazon UK


4 comments

  1. It keeps getting better. Story and head hoping. I can't wait for March! Mine is pre-ordered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the books in the series just keep getting better and I am pre-ordered as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This gets better and better with each book, I admit it took me to get involved with the story in the first book, but then I did not regret, as Ty and Zane will be involving all the imperfections of them will make them more real and reading becomes short too much for us readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard people having problems with book 1. While I did not I see where they are coming from its not really as good as the rest of the series but getting through it and on to the next is so worth it. I love the series Ty and Zane are one of my fav couples and I can't wait for the new book next month.

    ReplyDelete